Core values, Code of conduct & Ethics
Students seeking admission and trust of their parents are the primary reasons we exist as an Institution.
Our core values are:
- Integrity: All the activities should be conducted in an ethical manner. Research and teaching shall be carried out in an environment of academic freedom and honesty.
- Accountability: The roles and responsibilities are assigned and people are held accountable for their deeds. We feel our liability towards the society and our actions add values to the Institute.
- Responsibility: Everybody in the Institute is expected to discharge his/her duties with due responsibility.
- Transparency: The general records of maximum aspects of the functioning are maintained online to encourage transparency.
- Respect of Individual: While carrying out the interactions at all levels, the dignity and respect of an individual is observed.
- Faculty Empowerment: Institute promotes and encourages faculty in their individual academic development and provides scope for enhancement in their participation in general governance.
- Service to Nation: Institute is committed to developing the skilled manpower to serve the Nation.
- Environmental stewardship: Committed in practicing green technologies for sustainable development of the Nation.
Code of Conduct
The Institute is a community of cultured intellectuals. It is expected that, the freedom should be with sense of responsibility. Being aware of the rights should go together with consciousness towards duties. All pleasures are to be enjoyed with sense of morality. All arguments should take place maintaining the dignity. Mahatma Gandhiji’s seven principles are strived to be followed, that is: Wealth with work, Pleasure with conscience, Knowledge with character, Commerce with morality, Science with humanity, Religion with sacrifice and Politics with principle.
The character of the Institution is built with the discipline and harmony in the functioning. Certain policies are to be formed and communicated to all the elements to strike the balance between the freedom and responsibilities, rights and duties, in pursuit of knowledge, respecting all the individuals.
MGM’s College of Engineering has got a code of conduct for the staff as well as students. Along with the general code of conduct prescribed by the Statutory Regulatory Authorities, the Institute has certain mandatory requirements.
MGM students assume an obligation to conduct themselves in a manner compatible with the Institute’s norms. Every individual is held responsible for his/her actions.
Every student in the Institute is expected to be involved only in activities that are likely to maintain the prestige of the Institute. Each student should behave respectfully with all.
Following actions constitute the Institute code of conduct.
- Dress Code: Students are required to follow the dress code prescribed by the Institute, i.e. blue jeans and white shirt every day except Saturday. So that the students belonging to all economic strata are accommodated equally.
- Honesty: Malpractices/Cheating during test/examination or knowingly furnishing false information are prohibited and strictly dealt with at the same time things like plagiarism are prohibited for faculty also.
- Transparent Administration: With the help of MIS online information is maintained regarding attendance of students and conduction of classes by teachers. Biometric attendance of staff, leave records, salary slips etc are maintained online.
- Disciplined Conduct: Any behaviour obstructing teaching, research, administration, other proceedings or activities in the campus are entitled for punishment.
- Respect for women: Students must take care that his/her behaviour is impeccable toward opposite gender. Any unwelcome behaviour towards female students and employees in written, spoken, gestural or physical directly or indirectly would be dealt with as per the Law. Vishakha Samiti is in place to take care of.
- Daily assembly: - The day starts with National Anthem followed by Birthday wishes and Thought for the day. Achievers are felicitated and their efforts are appreciated.
- Prohibition of Ragging: Ragging is any conduct by a student as an individual or group of them whether by words spoken or written, or by an act, which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling the fresher or any other student with rudeness will be treated as ragging and will be entitled for disciplinary action.
- Hostel Discipline: Rules and regulations are laid down for conduct in Hostels has to be strictly followed by each student.
- Drugs/ Alcohol/ Tobacco: Sale, distribution, manufacture use and possession of drugs that are not prescribed by physician or are not legal in the open market are prohibited. Alcohol and Tobacco products are also prohibited in the Campus and in the Hostels.
- Possession or use of Fire arms, Fireworks, Explosives, Weapons or items of destruction are prohibited.
- Conservation of Natural resources, Energy and Environment: Every student and Staff are expected to be aware of these things and maintain the conduct accordingly.
- Cleanliness: Every student and staff is expected to maintain the general cleanliness within the classrooms, laboratories and the campus in general.
Code of conduct for Teachers
The code of conduct for faculty normally addresses the matters to related conduct of teachers such as teaching, learning, evaluation, relationship with the students, associated staff, management, parents duties and responsibilites with moral & professional ethics, human values, external sevices, devotion, dedication and intergrity of the teacher towards the college.
Duties of the Teacher towards students:
- Adhere to a responsible pattern of conduct and demeanor expected of them by the community.
- Manage their private affairs in a manner consistent with the dignity of the profession.
- Seek to make professional growth continuous through study and research.
- Express free and frank opinion by participation at professional meetings, seminars, conference etc. towards the contribution of knowledge.
- Maintain active membership of professional organizations and strive to improve education and profession through them.
- Perform their duties in the form of teaching, tutorial, practical, seminar and research work conscientiously and with dedication.
- Co-operate and assist in carrying out functions relating to the educational responsibilities of the Instituteand the university such as: assisting in appraising applications for admission, advising and counseling students as well as assisting the conduct of university and Instituteexaminations, including supervision, invigilation and evaluation; and
- Participate in extension, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities including community service.
- Manage their private affairs in a manner consistent with the dignity of the profession.
Code of conduct:
- The teacher shall perform all his/her duties faithfully and will not avoid responsibility.
However, following lapses would constitute improper conduct on the part of the teacher:
- Failure to perform his/her academic duties such as lecturing, demonstration, assessment, invigilation etc.
- Gross partiality assessment of students, deliberately over/under making or attempt of victimization on any grounds.
- Inciting or instigating students against other students, colleagues, administration, (This does not interfere with his right to express the differences on principles in seminars other places where students are present.)
- Raising questions of castes, creed or religion race or sex in his relationship with the students and his colleagues and trying to use the above considerations for improvement of his prospects.
- Refusal to carry out the decisions of appropriate authorities, officers, administrative and academic bodies of the college, this will not inhibit his right to express his difference with their policies or decisions, express his difference with their policies or decisions, expression, provided that he will not use the facilities or forum of the Instituteto propagate his own ideas or beliefs for or against particular party of alignment of political or religious activities.
- Involution of the Anti-academic activities directly or indirectly such asi.
- Writing of questions-answers guide, key, likely questions, cyclostyled or Xerox notes, etc.
- Undertaking of any office of profit, agency.
The teacher shall not avoid any work related to the University/Instituteexaminations without reasonable grounds.
- The behavior of the teacher with male and female students and other employees shall be modest.
- The Teacher shall.
- Strictly abide by any law relating to intoxicating drinks or drugs in force in any are in which he may happen to be for the time being.
- Not consume any intoxicating drink or be under the influence of any intoxicating drink or drug, during the courses of his duty, and shall also take due care that the performance of his duties at any time is not affected in any way by the influence of any such drink or drug.\
- Refrain from consuming any intoxicating drink or drug in a public place.
- Not appear in a public place in state of intoxication.
- Not use any intoxicating drink or dug in excess so that he is unable to control his behavior.
- Violation of Anti-bigamy Act and Anti-dowry Act in any manner directly or indirectly.
Teachers and Authorities:
- Discharge their professional responsibilities according to the existing rules and adhere to procedures and methods consistent with their profession in initiating steps through their own institutional bodies and/or professional organizations for change of any such rule detrimental to the professional interest.
- Retain form undertaking any other employment and commitment including private tuitions and coaching classes which are likely to interfere with their professional responsibilities.
- Co-operate in the formulation of policies or the institution by accepting various offices and discharge responsibilities which such offices may demand.
- Co-operate through their organizations in the formulation of policies of the other institutions and accept offices.
- Co-operate with the authorities for the betterment of the institutions keeping in view the interest and in conformity with dignity of the profession.
- Should adhere to the conditions of contract.
- Give and expect due notice before a change of position is made.
- Refrain from availing themselves of leave except on unavoidable grounds and as far as practicable with prior intimation, keeping in view their particular responsibility for completion of academic schedule.
Teachers and Guardians
- Try to see through teachers bodies and organizations, that institutions maintain contact with the guardians, their student, send reports of their performance to the guardians whenever and meet the guardians in meeting convened for the purpose for mutual exchange of ideas and for the benefit of the Institution.
Teachers and Society
- Recognize that education is a public service and strive to keep the public informed of the educational programmes which are being provided.
- Work to improve education in the community and strengthen the community’s moral and intellectual life.
- Be aware of social problems and take part in such activities as would be conductive to the progress of society and hence the country as a whole.
- Perform the duties of citizenship, participate in community activities and shoulder responsibilities of public offices.
- Refrain from taking part in or subscribing to or assisting in any way activities which tend to promote feeling or hatred or enmity among different communities, religions or linguistic group but actively work for National Integration.
Code of Conduct for Principal/Director
Principal as the head of Institute is solely responsible for addressing and resolving all issues concerned with the stakeholders of education. This code of conduct provides an explicit definition of the standards of professional conduct expected form the Principal as a Head of College.
Responsibility of the Principal:
Subject to the supervision and general control of the management, the Principals as the Principal executive and Academic Head of the College, shall be responsible for-
- Academic growth of the college.
- Participation in the teaching, research and training programmes of the college.
- Assisting in planning and implementation of academic programmes such as refresher/orientation course, seminars, in-service and other training programmes organized by the University. Institute for academic competence of the Faculty Member.
- Admission of students, maintenance of disciplines of the Institute.
- Receipts, expenditure and maintenance of true and correct accounts.
- The overall administration of the Institute and recognized Institution and their libraries and Hostels, if any.
- Correspondence relating to the administration of the Institute.
- Administration and supervision of curricular, co-curricular/extracurricular or extra-mural, students welfare activates of the Institute and Recognized Institution and maintenance of records.
- Observance of the Act, Statutes, Ordinance, Regulation, Rules and other Orders issued there under by the University authorities and bodies, from time to time.
- Supervision of the examination, setting of question papers, moderation and assessment of answer papers and such other work pertaining to the examination of college/ recongnized Institution.
- Overall supervision of the University Examinations.
- Observance of provisions of Accounts code.
- Maintenance of Self –Assessment Reports of teachers and their service Books.
- Any other work relating to the Institute or recognized Institution relating to the administration of the Institute as may be assigned to him/her by the Management from time to time.
Code of Conduct for the Governing Body
The Institute shall be managed by a regularly constituted Governing Body. The composition, functions and other condition pertaining to the Governing Body shall be as prescribed in the Directive Principles made and accepted by the Management.
Code of Conduct:
- Decisions and resolutions made by the Governing Body, Executive Body and all the Trust Units are obligatory.
- The members of Governing Body shall maintain their character, transparency, mannerisms and good image.
- No property of Trust will be used for personal benefits.
- The members of the Governing Body can obtain service from the Trust employee as and when required.
- Any member of Governing Body will not express non-satisfaction with any decision made by the Executive Body, it will be discussed or expressed in the meeting only, one must respect majority taking the decisions.
- Any member of Governing Body needs any primary information from Institute, he/she will communicate to the Principal and will not have any oral or written communication with the employee.
- If any misbehavior and action by the employee defames the Institute, it will be communicated to the Secretary orally or in writing.
- All shall mind that no person is greater than Institute.
- The Governing Body will receive all communication in writing only from the Principal, in the same way the Governing Body will reciprocate their decision through principal.
- Respect other member’s opinion and give them a chance to express, if necessary permit to register contradictory opinion.
Code of Ethics
The institution has a well established system to take care of the UG Projects, PG Dissertations and PhD Theses. Issues of the copyright infringement and plagiarism in the project reports, dissertation and thesis are taken very seriously. The institute library is equipped with the plagiarism detecting software. Each department has a team appointed by the Director to follow up the procedure, lead by respective departmental heads. This team investigates claims of plagiarism or misuse of document or articles. For example, when a project report, dissertation or a thesis, is found to have plagiarized other work or included third-party copyright material without permission or with insufficient acknowledgement, or authorship of the document is contested. The institute makes such students to resubmit their work and reports taking care of citations.